Mother Superior


I'm wondering today if there isn't a status factor associated with this whole motherhood thing. One can't spend too much time comparing oneself to friends and aquaintances, but by that same token, can't refuse to take any notice. Lean too far in one direction and you end up a competitive bitch. Lean too far in the other and you end up pathetically clueless. I'm reminded of a couple of women who could use a shift closer to the middle. One is so unhappy in her life that she does whatever she can to tear down those she feels have it better and the other still lives at home at 36. Enough said. 

Currently I'm really happy with my place in the world. Work, friends, house, family, health - it's all pretty good. I'm happy whether I'm working, hanging out with friends, watching sports with Scott or throwing a dinner party.  

But if I do not have kids, that 5 course dinner party out on the patio under twinkling lights will just be written off as the work of a woman with lots of time on her hands. Sure my house could be beautiful, or I could be well organized, or I could have a great career. But couldn't anyone who doesn't have to change diapers or drive carpool? 

Unfortunately it seems that if you're of a certain age and not a mother no matter what you do it's seen as less of an accomplishment.

So what's my point? I'm not sure. But being a mom and doing things well seems to get a lot more attention than doing things well alone. Food for thought. 


Comments