Free Living Room Updates

It sucks when you get bitten by the decorating bug, but don't have the extra cash to splurge on new accessories. Luckily, we have a lot of smaller decor items both around the house and stored away that we can pull from to change up a space. Here's what we did this weekend.


This corner of the room was blank and boring and calling out for accessories. I've been waiting to find the perfect table for that space. Also, the TV stand somehow manages to look cluttered and sparse at the same time.




Sorry for the crappy cell phone images. My digital camera in't working today. I added a knock off drum table I picked up at Big Lots for $7. Added the lamp, a plant and a pair of cute birds and now that corner looks balanced with the rest of the room. A few books and some seasonal shells under the bell jar gussied up the TV stand without making it look too crowded. I then pulled in a large lantern filled with feather ferns and a simple photo of the two of us for some not-too-cluttered looking accessories for the other end.

Next I had to find something to do with this other side of the room. It was just so empty before. We always say well eventually use this space for baby stuff we want to keep out in the living room, but do we have to suffer until then?! Ok that was a little dramatic, but it was really boring before.



I had an ugly old table we'd been using outside so I threw a small tablecloth over it and added some of our favorite accessories that have been hiding out in storage since our move from the apartment. A plant from the deck outside helps to bring some brightness to this corner, and we topped it off with the large stainless frame that used to be in the kitchen.


This is definitely a temporary fix. My goal is to buy the side table that matches our coffee table. Someday...



Finally, I redecorated our wedding jumping broom. Our colors were copper, cream, and black (the BEST wedding colors ever) and we gave our guests copper bells to ring during the recessional. I added a couple of flowers, some greenery, and those bells to the broom and hung it in the small space between the wall heater and the door frame. 




Not too shabby for a weekend project. I think these few tweaks help to make the living room feel a little more finished and balanced. Thanks for reading!

Comments