Daycare vs. Date Night

One of the things that was really important to me before I had E was to make sure that my house stayed reasonably clean and did not start to look like romper room just because I have a baby. For the most part, we've been able to do this. I say for the most part because heaven knows this place gets really day care looking during the day. Toys are everywhere, boxes are pulled out from behind the loveseat where we store her baby gym and doorway swing and in general it's all a bit of a mess. But one thing I've been able to do that I'm really proud of is put it all away and get ready for a stay-at-home date night in about 15 minutes.

In addition to having saved the boxes for two of her largest and most intrusive toys and stashing them behind the loveseat for quick access, we've dedicated the drawers of our tv stand to baby toys. This works out well because we set up in on the rub right in front of that space every day and we just pull open the drawers and tuck away the toys each night. We fold her little blanket right up and put it in the drawers too. And I can't say enough about a) not having too many toys and b) making sure everything is appropriately sized. Our house is small so a swing that takes up 5'x5' was never going to work. Here are some shots of the room while E is awake. Ignore the blurriness. I'm in the market for a new camera.




And here are some post baby bedtime shots. Quite a difference. Even in what's on TV - music only for the most part when E is awake and then we watch a lot of sports at night.



I am on the lookout for more tips on how to keep kids from taking over so if you have a resource for me please share. I'll continue to post things about how our home is changing with our new addition as we go along!

Comments